Thursday 24 January 2019

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 23rd January Avalon

Today was one of those days when only fools and anglers venture out.   The roads were stretches of black ice, and the temperature zero.   BUT for fourteen of Dad's Army it was no problem, with the expectation of catching fish matching the temperature   They had come to enjoy seeing their mates? suffer and endure, all in good fun!!!

Today we fished Avalon, and Ron was there to greet us with the hint of a smile on his face, puffing on his artificial fag.   Between us we selected the pegs, using the top of the lake both sides.   The Golden Peg was drawn by The Nasty Old Sheriff again number 19, and I thought he must have a chance.   I drew peg 30 with Boy George to my right, and Tungsten to my left.   Across the lake I could see our newly wed Jeff back from his honeymoon, looking very fit!!

We welcomed two guests today, potential members Titch and Richie.  Our Wednesday lot were unanimous they were both suitable, and would make good members of Dad's Army HLS.

We fished 10-0 till 3-30 today and it was time for the all in.   My intention was to fish the maggot feeder, changing to six mil pellet as a second option.   Three hours in and no fish.   I had the pole out at 11 metres, and my sum total for the day was one tiny roach.   I must admit I had smashed maggot on the feeder, but I never saw any movement on my tip?   Must visit Spec Savers!!

It  was a match of two sides on our bank, only Tungsten caught over a pound.  The far bank fished better with Titch on the end peg winning overall with an outstanding 38lbs 3ozs.   Second was Mustard with 11lbs 6ozs.    Mike Bend It won silvers with 9lbs 2ozs second being Sparky with 7lbs

Well done to everyone for passing their endurance trial today, and there were still plenty of craic and laughs.

I have had lots of people say how boring fishing must be, my reply would be "I see more in one match than they see driving their cars around and getting frustrated with millions of others"    Do they see the Kingfisher catching their lunch, and all the other wild life that abounds on these nature reserves we call fisheries.   Have they the time to notice the change of seasons, such as the coming out of winter into spring, and so on throughout the year.  I don't think so.

I have one more Wednesday before taking some leave away on holiday.   It's over to Danny.  I am sure you lads will support The Sheriff as you have me, which I appreciate.   This may mean no blog for a few weeks.   It's this time of year I like commenting on the antics of the wild life, such as the splashing of over sexed ducks and geese not to mention copulating dragonfly, sitting on my float.  The good thing is that when I return I will see the product of all this activity; ducklings, goslings,and whatever they call young dragonfly, plus all the other species.   Also the trees and hedges in bud.

       Back to reality, next Wednesday we fish Trinity Woodlands.  I spoke to Misha this morning, and she said the planned improvements on the far bank of this lake will start a little later.

                                            Don't be shy, make it ring 

                                                       Bob


                                                         







2


No comments:

Post a Comment