Thursday 17 January 2019

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 16th January Viaducts Cary

I arrived at Viaducts, it was all peaceful, the weather was fine and not so cold.    I thought great, but unfortunately this didn't last long.   We were lashed with rain and strong gusty winds, this lasted for about two hours!!

Today thirteen of Dad's Army were fishing on Cary Lake, so there was plenty of room.   Matt and Steve did the business, extracting the lad's cash.   The pegs were selected and it was time for the draw.   Peg 105 was the Golden Peg, which went to Tivi.   Danny gave me the last out of the bag, I was very pleased with 77, which is a good skimmers peg.   I thought perhaps the Nasty Old Sheriff was getting soft in his dotage!

We had two guys Shawn and Phil unloading thousands of pounds of gear all shining and bright, then a few others with the kit that even Oxfam would refuse to take.   Shawn was showing and explaining about the new line in feeders; it all looked very good to me, but it was way out of my league, but thanks for showing me, it was much appreciated.

On to the match.  When I got to my swim it was great, so instead of fishing the maggot feeder, it was going to be the pole just beside the tree that had fallen into the water.   Still fishing the maggot and feeding small amounts of ground bait and maggots via a medium tosspot.

All in and it was not long before I had a few small roach in the net.   I was thinking it was going to be a busy hard working day.   I had Shawn to my left, and as he netted a skimmer I was having bad thoughts.   Across the lake I could see George who had been stamping round like Long John Silver catching his usual whitebait.   Bend It swinging them in fishing the wag.

My day got better, with skimmers and a bonus tench getting me up to double figures;  then  a nightmare!!! A dreaded scaly took my maggot.   I was under my brolly and could hardly move, after ten minutes of letting my friend enjoy himself pulling my arm out,  I was trying to be gentle seeing I had just a 20 hook and 1lb 14oz bottom.    I decided I must get out from under my said brolly. which is not easy on a small platform, all the gear plus a demented scaley   I managed to achieve the impossible landing the fish which was just short of 12lbs, leaving me knackered.

Shawn caught a couple of good sized carp, so must have been in the shake up, and I fancied my chances with the silvers.    Matt was weighing us in, he did not have to strain a gut, as it had been a hard days winter fishing.

The Wizard managed 3 carp for 33lbs 10ozs which was good for overall win.   Shawn with 2 carp and some silvers got second with 25lbs 9ozs I managed to get the better of Bend It, winning silvers with 11lbs 9oz.  Mike was second with 10lbs 12ozs.   The full results are below.

We visit Avalon next Wednesday which is a great venue.   I require at least 10 on parade, and well turned out please.


                                                        Bob



                                           


                                                         





No comments:

Post a Comment