Friday 4 May 2018

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 2nd May Avalon Fisheries

It was Wednesday again and Dad's Army were at Avalon.   It was raining steadily, but twelve of the men were flapping their arms and quacking nicely.    They all assured me they had knelt by their beds with hands together, so why was I surprised when, at nine o'clock, the rain stopped, the sun shone, and the wind changed direction for the better!!!

Ron was looking after us today, and we had pegs 1 to 23 of which I selected 12 to put in the hat.   Big Bird drew the Golden Peg number 5, with the Nasty Old Sheriff on the end peg 21.    I had peg 12 with Tivi on my left, and Mustard to the right;  good company so I was well pleased.

I shouted all in and things got underway.    I intended to fish corn, but not straight off, I started on maggot and caster.    The plan was to keep feeding corn and ground bait,  while catching on caster for the first hour then switching to corn.   The first hour produced about one pound of bits, plus one good skimmer.    Dave and Rich either side of me were both doing better, so it was time to switch to corn.

After a wait along came my first bream, and I was slowly building a good weight of mainly large skimmers.    My bites got less for the last hour, but I did manage a ten pound carp on my 20 hook and two pound bottom.   I knew that Tivi had done well, but I could only see the chaps either side of me.

Rod started the weigh at peg 21 where Danny had 25lbs of silvers.   Dave weighed 18lbs, and it was my turn next, had the corn worked I wondered.   My net came out, and I felt confident it could be another few nuggets in my pocket.    Onto the scales, and the needle just passes the 30lbs mark, happy days!   Boy George said there were no fish in his swim, and Rob said that's another peg he did not want to draw again.

The sun shone, the lad's were happy, it was another day having the craic and doing what  we like best,

                    See you next Wednesday at Shiplate Hawthorns.

                                   Dog and bone PHONE make it ring  01278683243.

                                                                              Bob




No comments:

Post a Comment