Thursday 17 May 2018

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 16th May Summerhays Longs

Dad's Army were looking at Longs Lake Sumerhays on a overcast breezy morning.   It was blowing straight down the lake north to south.   Were the lads concerned!!  there were just nine of us and NO, they just loaded and cocked ready for the challenge.

It's a treat to come here, proper toilet facilities, good banks, and a recently planted hedge, cut low and growing nicely for two thirds the way around the lake.    The downside was Pete and his mandatory  nuff joke repeated, saying that the drinks were free, and the smell of bacon coking very tempting.

I took the coin and selected the pegs, so plenty of room and no moans.   It was time for the draw.   W.O.2 Parker drew first, and got the Golden Peg number eleven for the second week in a row.   Boy George drew 28, and the Nasty Old Sheriff 8 and muttering.   I got peg 13 and was well pleased, with Tonto on my left, he was the only other one I could see.

Today it was no ground bait just loose feed, and not to far out, as this swim shallows from halfway out.   I hoped to catch skimmers and roach on maggot and caster, avoiding them scaly varmints if possible.   All in and some feed, then sit and wait on the nine metre line.   I looked across at Tonto, he was doing his usual, sitting trying to look like Buddha.   He had baited with bread, and was doing a fine job keeping the ducks fed and entertained.

After half an hour Tonto got busy and started catching small carp.   I had a couple of skimmers in the net, so happy days.    I had some excitement with my only carp of the day, which eventually swam off with my elastic connector and rig;  it must have taken lessons from Danny, robbing the poor and keeping it.

The day progressed with no more varmits, but a pleasing catch of silvers;  I was feeling  quite confident, but only the scales would decide.

It was four o'clock and I reluctantly shouted the all out, quickly packed up, and Danny and I fetched the scales and board.

Danny was first to weigh admitting ten pounds of silvers! so we were not surprised when it was not far short of 19lbs plus some carp.   Well done Danny.   The Wizard had not been up to his usual tricks and did not bother.   Golden boy Bill was next with a creditable 36lbs.   Then came the moment of TRUTH!!.   I admitted maybe 15lbs, but the scales proved me wrong when they settled at one ounce short of 24lbs.    More muttering from the Sheriff, saying he had been watching me catch all day; perhaps he should pay more attention to his own float!!!

Tonto had twenty two small carp for 55lbs and was top overall; an active days fishing!   Next up was Boy George, who was saying some very unkind remarks about the carp family, but he weighed 15lbs plus of silvers, and 36lbs of carp for second overall.   Kev weighed 47lbs of carp, and Tungsten had 14lbs of silvers.

As can be seen by the results sheet it was a good match, with plenty of silvers and carp.   No MICKY MOUSE weights, and everyone in with a chance.   Thanks Pete you and the weather behaved for a change.

              Next week its Emeralds, probably on Ruby, and on the 30th we visit Sedges Brick.

                             I've done my kit maintenance, so back to the sun lounger.

                                       Make it ring, you know the number!!

                                                                          Bob

                                           
                                 






No comments:

Post a Comment