Thursday 18 April 2019

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 17th April Shiplate Main

We were at Shiplate today, and after a foggy drive and lots of chat, the sun shone through to reveal this extremely well cared for fishery.

We had eleven well turned out men on parade, all looking forward to sunshine and fish.   After parting with their lolly they were keen to go.    Steve and Carole were in charge, doing their social bit,sorting out swims and the Golden Peg which was four.

On to the draw, The Nasty Old Sheriff drew his usual flyer peg 15, Boy George go his record breaking peg 14, so it would be goodbye to another nugget, but I was not moaning!!   Last out of the hat I got peg 1, this meant I could watch the above mentioned roughs squabble over my nugget  GRR!

At ten o'clock, with the sun still shining, I shouted all in   I started plumbing up and found it shallow all the way and flat.    My intention was to fish sweetcorn today, but after one and a half hours without a bite, so not having time to visit Mr Kedge this week, had not my reliable stand by casters, it had to be the few remaining two week old maggots.   I struggled on;  I could see  Sausage catching a few fish, George had his tongue out, and Danny was coughing, so I knew I was in trouble.   But it's only a game, and I had plenty of company, namely, oversexed geese, ducks, moorhens and coots, all as common as muck, having it away just in front of me.   It was nice to see some goslings, which were the first of the year for me.   Who cares about the lack of fish, it was just great to be here.

It was time for the all out, the weigh in showed some good silver fishing, but a lack of carp, I expect they were thinking about the same thing the birds were up to?

Bend It on the wag topped everyone with 40lbs 3ozs of silvers, plus a carp 10bs 9ozs, the lad's on fire, who will stop him?   The full results are below.

Today we fished our first pairs match, which meant a BLIND DRAW, this caused a bit of questioning of  others who were so called mates.   It was won by Tivi and that slippery George.  Well done DAVE.   It's good to try something different, and we shall have another mid summer.

Next week again another first, when we visit Borrow Ponds.   This is mainly a silvers venue, but it's good trying something new, even Ninja has agreed to have  a go!!   I hope for a good turn out, and the "Dog and Bone" to ring PLEASE.

                                                         Bob (Adjutant)

P.S.   Dad's Army fished the Angling Times Super Cup first round against Watchet and Exeter last Saturday.   The venue was Trinity Woodlands, and thanks to some good performances by George, Danny, and Tony, we are now into the next round.   Well done the team!!



                                                             


                                                         
                                       




.

No comments:

Post a Comment