Monday 8 April 2019

HLS Angling - Avalon 08.04.19

This weeks venue was at the Avalon Fishery. Throughout the week the weather was warming and seemed to be promising; however on Thursday evening and the early hours of Friday it got much colder and rained heavily which wasn't perfect leading towards the weekend.

When I got to the venue I was astounded to see so many anglers there and the best turn out of the year so far. There were a few faces today that would normally fish the Dads Army Group on Wednesdays and I'm guessing that as not many turned up at Summerhays on Wednesday they were getting their fix by attending the Sunday session.

I un-packed my gear from the car and went to look at the water. There was a fair chop on water with the wind blowing straight down the lake so presentation was going to be difficult. The water colour had everyone saying that it was going to be difficult, it was a milky grey colour and not looking its best.

I paid my fees to Sharp Shopper Shane who was basking in the bright sunshine but he didn't have much to say, maybe he was keeping quiet in-case he lost his teeth again. No one had any updates on Kev from last weeks cameo so we can only presume he's still drying out.

The golden peg was drawn and today it was peg 20 - the favoured end of the lake for Silvers or Carp.

The draw was made as follows -

1 - Lord C
4 - Queenie
5 - Dave Allen
6 - Me
7 - Dettal
10 - Steve Warn
11 - Guru Tart
12 - Mutant George
14 - Sharp Shopper Shane
16 - Dan
17 - Paul
19 - Graham
20 - John Wolstencroft
21 - J Brad
23 - Danny
24 - Eric
27 - P Lock
28 - Tony Fry
29 - R Coles
30 - Last Hour Dave
32 - Mario Tony

The favoured end was those pegs in the late teens and twenties and with Eric pulling 24 we thought he would be in with a good chance of taking the fees.

I was feeling the pressure today as to my left I had Dettal  and to my right I had Dave Allen and to his right was Queenie. Even if we didn't catch today there was certainly going to plenty verbal abuse and I had my ear plugs at the ready.  Detall had the edge of an island to go for and I had the rest to target.

I had spent some money this week on upping the gear on my rigs and reels due to losing too many fish over previous weeks and getting some sound advice from Mutant George and Lord C but I wasn't really comfortable with heavier lines but I needed to do something.

I set up  a rig for the 13m line straight in front and a margin line to my right, but the wind was increasing so I set up the tip to fish about 4-6 feet from the island. There wasn't many fish seen topping and us along pegs 1 -7 which are not normally the best of pegs were muttering our concerns of how its going to feel like a long day.

So the hooter went and I cupped in some ground bait on the 13m line hoping that the wind was going to drop. I put an a 15g bomb on the tip with a banded 8mm pellet and fished to the island. As per previous weeks it wasn't long before someone caught and I think Steve Warn was first in. Shortly after my tip went around and I successfully bought in a common of about 10lb. Feed some 4+6mm pellets lose and cast out again and within minutes my tip went around again, and after a bit of a fight managed to net another common of about 6lb. Now the last time I fished here I had 2 quick carp then couldn't catch again so I was not hedging my bets. Out again and anther fish which took me into Dettal swim and what he thought was a bite and his elastic going out actually was my fish  - ooops sorry Dettal - to be fair he was ok about it after firing a few expletives at me. So after an hour I had about 22lb fish. I put another ball of ground bait out but still fished the tip. Then it went quiet for an hour and a large carp swirled over my ground bait so I thought Id continue to loose feed pellets but have a dangle over the ground bait line. I couldn't get the presentation right and after 5 minutes gave upon that idea so back on the tip.

Looking down the bank after hearing a snap I could see the Guru tart at he rear of the bank pulling his rod hard. Looked like he was squirrel hunting again. Apparently he cast into the tree on his island and ended up snapping the end of his cheap Guru rod

The rest of the match was very fruitful for me but for those good anglers around me were struggling and I must say fair play to Dave Allen as he kept at the 13m line and landed a few skimmers and had a good ending. I landed a bream of 5lb 8 oz  my only silver of the day and then a fish a cast until then the all out.

For me it was a good day and the heavier lines proved successful. Tip fishing is not my favourite as it can be a bit boring; however when the fish are on it, its very fruitful and enjoyable, but not quite as good as seeing the elastic stretch form the end of your pole.

Looks like George is bang in on form again with another silvers master class and his all important £1 from Danny.

So onto the weigh in

Overall

1st - (Me) Nigel     - 89lb - 11oz
2nd - P Lock          - 53lb - 12oz
3rd - Mario Tony   - 29lb - 3oz

Silvers

1st -  Mutant George - 19lb - 5oz
2nd - Paul                  - 17lb - 7oz
3rd - Dave Allen       - 13lb - 10oz

Sorry no pictures today as my arm was aching too much

Well done to everyone who attended and a big congratulations to me for my first ever match win.

Next week we are on Sellicks at Summerhayes. Please remember that you either go over the railway line by the Bot and Anchor pub or down to Colley Lane in Bridgewater and over the new bridge.

Please remember to text Phil if you are attending to avoid disappointment of being turned away.





1 comment: