Thursday 22 November 2018

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 21st November Sedges Tile

When I raised myself out of the pit today, it was with fear and trepidation!! The forecast was grim       RAIN, STRONG EAST WINDS, and TOP TEMPERATURE 7 DEGREES !!!  sheer madness for an  old timer.    I dressed with enough clothes to stock OX-FAM for a year.

I arrived at Sedges at 08-00 hrs, all was quiet so I decided to walk around the lake.   We were fishing on Tile today, and halfway round I saw cars arriving, and thought more members for the funny farm? You have to admire the men of Dad's Army,. no matter what the conditions, a parade's a parade, and their duty is to catch fish with their mates.

There were twelve of us today.   Jamie and Denise looked after us with hot drinks all round.   The pegs were selected and the money business completed.   Then came the draw, Ninja got the Golden Peg number twenty two.   Everyone had an empty peg on one side, so we thought there should be a few fish caught today.    Most of the lads were baiting up with maggot, caster or pinkie, but soft pellet was also popular.

It was 09-45 hrs until 15-00 today.   At the all in I put a little loose feed and ground bait on the 11.5 metre line, this was where I aimed to stay all match. I had Tungsten to my right, and WO2 Bill on my left, so good company.    I put a pinkie on a 20 hook and waited   I took time but I got a small roach, which meant I had not blanked.   Tungsten was catching small fish regularly.   I could see Sparkie on peg forty was getting a few small skimmers.   After a couple of hours Bill P had caught two trees but no fish! and  I had an eel to go with my lone roach.

The day progressed , for me it was slow but, it did not rain, not much wind, and the sun shone through.   A just reward for the resilient men who stayed at their positions to the end, and weighed in.

We started with Ninja who said he had just one fish!! but asked for help to lift his net out?  the result was 50-00 lbs of scaleys.  How could this man perjure himself so consistently?  Tungsten had managed  7lbs 11ozs of silvers, plus a carp.   I had three eels, a skimmer and a roach, plus a carp for 12lbs 13ozs.   The Wizard 23lbs 6ozs, and it was off to the other bank and The Nasty Old Sheriff who weighed 5lbs 12ozs, was this enough for some nuggets?   George was hovering, and we knew what that meant, he could not stop telling porkies.  Simon weighed 30lbs 12ozs, and Bill the Paste surprised us with 16lbs 7ozs of silvers.   George had 7lbs 2ozs of silvers for the nuggets.   Mustard came second overall with 34lbs 1oz, and Sparkie 11lbs 9ozs of silvers, for second in that category.

Summing up, it was a day of surprises, The Paste won the silvers, the weather was very good, and to top it all Eric won the Golden Peg.   I must say thanks to all the lads for turning out, and making my day a good one.

    Next Wednesday we visit Viaducts and it's Scary Cary.   We could be down on numbers for                              various reasons.  Please make it ring!!!

                                                                                Bob


                                                             






No comments:

Post a Comment