Thursday 8 November 2018

HLS Angling Club Dad's Army Emeralds Speci Lake Wednesday 7th November

Today Dad's Army were on parade at Emeralds on the Speci Lake, so I was limited for pegs.   The first thing I did when arriving at 7-45, was to do the pegging.   I managed to squeeze in fourteen, which was just as well as fourteen of F Platoon arrived, all smartly turned out.    I had to say no to our potential guest Vic which was a shame.

The weather forecast was horrendous; it was raining when the lads arrived, but they happily !! parted with their ackers, with the expectations of a good day's fishing with their mates.

All the business was done with the Golden Peg number one.   Sticky fingers went into the hat and Bend It got lucky, that was until Boy George drew next to him, they were either side of a large swim I had made into two pegs.   The Nasty Old Sheriff drew the flyer, and Monsieur Baz had a top swim in the corner.    I drew peg nine between Tivi Dave and Ninja, so good company but an average swim.

Today we fished 09-45 until 15-30, so on the dot I shouted all in, and we got busy.   No rocket science here, the lake was full of skimmers and carp, so most were catching from the off.  I find that not much feed and a single maggot on the hook at this time o  f the year is good for the silvers.   I caught most of the day with a one and a  half hour quiet spell, which I found inexplicable, and it probably cost me.

Halfway through Ninja took my second net; is he man or machine when it comes to carp??
Some would say neither.    The day progressed and the weather was not as bad as was forecast.    It was just another great day's fishing.

It was all out and everyone looked pleased with themselves,   Danny started the weigh in with Sausage who had 22lbs 6ozs of silvers.   Next it was Bill the Paste who had three carp nets and a silver net, a quarter of an hour later the final tally was 161lbs 15ozs.    Well done Bill.   The Brad had 17lbs10ozs of silvers.   Tivi totaled 25lbs 1ozs, and I weighed 34lbs of silvers  I was happy, although I knew it would not be enough.

Another big weight was next, Ninja with 121lbs 3ozs, then came Mustard with 18lbs 1oz,  Tungsten 47lbs 12ozs and Not so Simple 57lbs 4ozs. on the top bank.   It was then onto the big three.   Starting with Danny 40lbs of silvers and 8lbs9ozs of carp, next Mike 38lbs  15ozs which was very close, finally,  the man with the big tongue, our George, who had 45lbs 3ozs of silvers and was smiling.

    I believe I speak for us all, when after the match I said to Alan a big thank you, and we will keep returning to his wonderful fishery

When you realize it's November when weights traditionally drop,  just look at the result sheet., how nice it was not to struggle, it speaks for its self.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned standing down from the organizing of  Wednesdays, but after hearing some alternative suggestions, and getting the feelings and vibes from the guys who fish on Wednesdays that you would not be happy,    So after talking to you, I think it had better we stay as we are, with a few adjustments and promises of commitment from you.

     Next Wednesday we visit Summerhayes Longs.  Peter is a good lad, so let's support him by                            turning up and feeding his fish.

                              Ding Dong make it ring

                                                                   Bob



                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment