Monday 11 September 2017

Sunday 10th September 2017 - Todber Manor, Hill View Lake

This was my first 'away day' with the HLS lads. I have been to Todber Manor before but not the Hill View Lake, so I was looking forward to the event. I had been told that the lake was full of fish although match weights had been down lately. Well, what I wanted was a day of catching fish and staying dry/warm. I got one of those wishes!!!

When I arrived, I met Chairman Bob in the tackle shop. And what a shop it is; I even saw a 'kitchen sink' for the bivvy boys. Bob was sorting the pegs for the 20 of us and asking the owners to spread us out as best as possible. A local chap was asked to select the golden pegs and bizarrely picked out 40 and 41. Bob decided that the away day ritual was to throw the draw cards into the air. My pick-up was peg 58. I had a lot of space between George to my left and Dick to my right but with the right to left breeze I saw very little of Dick's performance!!!

Upon getting to my peg, I decided that it was a pole only day, primarily for silvers. The forecast said increasing winds so I chose a 2+3 line infront, top kit slightly to my left and 2+3 down the edge. My baits were 4mm expanders, 4mm meat, caster and some flavoured 4mm soft pellets. I fed the front line with gb laced with casters.

From the off I got bites. Casters produced small silvers and meat produced the better fish. However, when I say better fish there was nothing better than a 3lb common. It was a very active and enjoyable day but not a weight building day. The wind increased at times and made me just fish the topkit but it was worse for some who had it directly in their face. All said, I did enjoy catching my fish.

Whenever I looked around it seemed that all were playing fish. Who had the better fish would have to been seen at the weigh in. Full respect for Martin Western for first overall considering he had the wind in his face and fished his top kit for a 93lb 12oz. Bolton boy George, on my left, also did well to get the 2nd in silvers considering he always seem to be playing carp for most of the match. King of the silvers on the day was our senior man, Bob, with a wonderful bag of 45lb 5oz

Mother Nature had the last laugh when the wind and rain died as the weigh in was conducted and also gave us some sunshine to finish our great day.

Please see the full results below.....

No comments:

Post a Comment