Monday 15 February 2016

Sunday 14th February 2016 - Trinity Woodlands

Trinity Woodlands..... a view from peg 23


This was my first outing in 2016 and when I arrived at Woodlands there were the early brass monkeys ready to brave the cold North Easterly wind. Kingy was there taking 50p for the Golden peg and Horny was giving Mr Pi some stick about not bringing his new white seat box into the mud. On the subject of mud, full praise for the Trinity people putting down wood chippings in the muddy areas. Far better treatment for their customers than some other places!!!

25 fished and my hopes were for a peg in the shelter of the hedge on the far bank, notionally pegs 6 to 15. So, out comes peg 23, a peg I’ve not enjoyed much in the past. For company, I had Horny Beards on peg 24, the Golden Peg, and Paul Bowyer on 22 ready with his trusty waggler. Last to arrive at his peg was Chairman Bob on peg 21 (his age so he says) with a new Preston seatbox, or should I say chairbox!!! Of course he received lots of encouragement and requests not to snore when he nodded off.

The chair....


Peg 23…..


Looking at my peg, I decided to fish two lines with the pole but not far out because it deepens quickly and the strength of the wind. Two rigs were set up for 5m out; one at depth and the other at ¾ depth. A 3rd rig was set for the margins but this never got used. Finally, my main attack was a straight lead set up for 20m fishing a bunch of maggots. At the all in, I fed my pole lines and cast out the lead and catapulted a few maggots over the top. 5 minutes later my tip knocked around typically like a skimmer bite and I was surprised by a dopey, very golden coloured mirror, of about 4lbs. Another carp graced the net about 20 mins later then it went quiet and so I tried the pole line. At depth I didn’t get a bite on maggot or 4mm soft pellet. I tried up in the water and started getting small roach.

Paul Bowyer next to me started catching these small roach from the off and a few small skimmers. I saw Shane Western catch a few carp and heard Beardsy swearing at something. I did hear our chairman cuss when he lost his rig, elastic and all. Perhaps he had spent all his money on the new ‘armchair’ and couldn’t afford new elastic!! We also enjoyed the attentions of the resident swans, particularly Shane who, had them land in his swim.

The Swan, now christened Shane the Ugly….


I went out again with my depth rig and this time with strawberry flavoured soft pellets. There was a small dip of the float and a good size mirror entertained me on my size 4 elastic, but I won. I went back out on the lead and caught more carp. I did try the pole again but wasted too much time on small bits. In the end I spent most of the match on the lead, ending up with 9 carp. During the second half of the match, I noticed Phil was catching good carp down the edge and across from me, Brian Chivers on peg 15 was getting regular fish in his left hand margin. I hadn’t heard much from the rest of the lake and so I reckoned it was going to be Phil, Brian and me who would set the pace at the weigh in. When the scales got to Paul, the top weight was Kingy with 25lb. Paul put 28lb 17oz on the score sheet. My carp and bits went 49lb 2oz, but Beardsy started dancing when his carp notched 51lb 15oz. He reckoned the golden peg was his but we hadn’t noticed that the Welsh Wizard, Brian had caught more than we thought. He took the prize with 68lb 5oz. Rob Eagles took the silvers prize with 17lb 13oz.

A better day than expected for me. I will see you all on the 26th after a trip to Portugal, in search of some sun. Tight lines!!!


Results…

No comments:

Post a Comment