Thursday 30 May 2019

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 29th May Shiplate Main Lake

Shiplate Main Lake was the venue for Dad's Army this week, and twelve well equipped men? arrived for muster .    The weather forecast was not good, but that didn't stop the chat, and it looked like expectations were high.

Steve and Carol were our hosts, the welcome was good, and they had also selected the pegs to be fished.   The Golden Peg was 6.   After all the money was sorted it was onto the draw.

Ant Bear George got the Golden Peg, and with his tongue was already out, he started to tell everyone about the great achievements he would make.   Peg 6 won the last match we had on this lake, but there is a rumor fish can swim.!!   The lads just smiled and said we would see.

There were no pegs 1 and 15 today, as the flyers had been taken by pleasure anglers, but we had plenty of room as it is a big lake.   I drew the peg I wanted number 3 and I was very happy.   I had Sausage in 4 , but as there was no one in 2 I thought I would have a [peaceful day.

All in and I had one option today, corn and more corn, as I had not had time to visit Steve The Kedge on Tuesday.    So it was 10 metres straight out with the little ground bait I had plus corn.  I was prepared for a slow start.   For the first hour 3 fish for 3lbs, then 5 fish in the second, which made me think "not too bad"

I was not bored, because there was plenty of evidence  resulting from the humpy- pumpy we saw at our last visit.     Babies of several varieties of ducks, geese, and coots were swimming nearby all chaperoned by and angry looking Muscovey.   Who cares about fishing at this great venue?  I do!!.   Ant Bear had the Golden Peg with The Nasty Old Sheriff next to him, I though there goes my nuggets today.

My day got progressively better, I was building a good weight of skimmers, plus a good tench, and a few roach.   I also caught small carp, but nothing big.    It was a real day's fishing, and I was reluctant to shout all out.

Danny and I set out with those truth telling scales.  We started with W.O.2 Bill, followed by Jon Claude and Tive.    To be honest they had the worst of the weather and struggled.   Next it was Ninja who weighed 45lbs 11oz , which was good enough to win.   He was followed by Richie with 42lbs 11oz.     Then on to our side of the lake.   Mustard with 19lb 6oz, The Sheriff got 17lb 10oz of silvers, then it was time for the big tongue! he should have kept it quiet, he had just 12lb 9oz of silvers, and one large scaley.    Tungsten with 16lb 13oz of silvers and a total of 21lb 5oz,.  then it was on to Sausage with 10lb 14oz of silvers.

I was last to weigh, and was confident with 10lb 13oz of carp, and a very rewarding 32lbs 15oz of silvers.    It did feel good extracting nuggets from the two roughs I call mates.

Well done to Shiplate for their excellent fishery and a big thank you to the lads who turned out on a difficult day, which made my day easy.

        Next Wednesday we are at Trinity Woodlands, and with the Weather Gods promising nothing                    but warmth I hope for a good turnout.

         Let's be having you "hands off c...ks on with socks"

                               Let's catch some fish.

                                                   Bob (Adjutant)


                                                                   
                                                               

                                             



                                                             



                                                     

                                                                   






No comments:

Post a Comment