Thursday 26 October 2017

Wednesday 25th October 2017 - Shiplate Hawthorns

It was another Wednesday, and we were at Shiplate Hawthorns on a perfect day weatherwise for fishing.   We had ten lads, the perfect number to fish this fifteen peg lake;  BUT  there was a humungous amount of cold rain overnight, and the water level was up!!

We were very spoilt today, with Carol, Steve, and Reggie looking  to our needs, and  so no weighing in to be done.   I got the guys to part with their cash, while Carol wrote out the draw numbers, and selected the Golden Peg which was number seven.

At the draw Bad Boy got twelve and was happy!!!  while the Sheriff got golden.  My peg, the last in the hat, was three.   I had Tivi to my left on one, and Tonto on peg four.   Tonto's first question was "How far into your swim Bob can I cast" some things never change.

For me, like most times, it's keep it simple, just caster and red maggot over small amounts of ground bait laced with caster, fed regularly.    Horny tooted and I realized it was going to be tough, with just three small roach to show after two hours of effort.   Dave was struggling, as was Tonto who had one carp and  lost one, commenting what a silly boy he was, there was no answer to that. 

Steve had said the fish tended to feed later, so with patience I persevered with my plan, and was rewarded with a good second half session.   I had a dozen or so roach, some skimmers, and a small tench, which gave me 10lbs 4ozs in silvers,
plus 35lbs 4ozs of those pesky carp.  This was good enough for the match, and some more of those precious nuggets!!  All  thanks to the humble red maggot on a twenty hook.

             This Sunday we visit Avalon, so always room with plenty of pegs.
                   Next Wednesday we return to Emeralds.

                                    "Dog and Bone" Phone PLEASE

                                                     Chair Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment