Monday 31 October 2016

Sunday 30th October 2016 - Avalon Fisheries

Possibly one of the most consistent fisheries in the mid somerset area and always a favourite with the HLS club. Pegs 1-34 were closed to us and 24 were fishing on a mild Autumn day with a slight breeze and a heavy covering of leaves on the western side of the lake.

The crazy batter was in full swing from the moment I got out the car and some conversation kept going around like a broken record.... you know who you are, Mr Spurs and Mr Jurgen Klopp ( or Krotch) as you kept saying.

I had come totally focused on silvers for the day and hoping to see a few of the lovely bream that the fishery holds. Anywhere on the lake can offer a good net of silvers so I wasn't fussed where I drew although I hoped for something higher than 5. There were a lot of carp on the surface and so I was wondering if a pellet waggler should have been the weapon of choice. I'll never know!!

Mr Bush and the Chairman sorting the draw....... seniors trying to count is a wonder to behold.....

I drew 'unlucky for some 13' and marched of to my peg. The water was clear of leaves except for close in. I decided on an 11m line with two rigs, one with a plain size 18 hook and another with a banded 18 hook. The depth of these rigs also suited a 2+2 lengths so I decided to feed that as well. Lastly, I set up a margin rig for my left hand side. The right margin was full of snags so left that alone.

We were fishing 9:45 to 3:45 because the clocks had gone back and I was just ready on the hooter. I fed the two forward lines and had a play in the margin for 10 minutes catching small roach. I went out to the 11m line with 4mm soft pellet and had no indications. I then tried various baits in the next 30 mins to see what was of interest. The last resort was a single white maggot which was immediately taken by an 8lb ish common which stretch my size 4 elastic. It came of at the net but happily I didn't lose the hook. I persevered on this line and the next bait to get some interest was a banded 8mm pellet, but the carp acted like it was foul hooked and never saw the light of day. Again the whole rig came back. this happened once more and that was the last 'bite' on that line. The 2+2 line was biteless and so I had to satisfy myself with the small silvers in the left margin, which if I had known this was my only silvers at the beginning I could have put together a reasonable weight. I tipped back my 5lb of silvers with 30 mins to go and went home early.

I was only really able to hear what was happening to the left of me and most of that was a non stop conversation between Neil, Horny, Martin and The King on the other bank. Due to the lack of fish being caught there was a varied number of topics including Ladyboys, Amanda Burton, Anika Rice and some other woman on Coronation Street. Most of these topics were chosen by Horny.

From a fishing point of view I detected that Martin on 19 and Paul on 26 were catching a few silvers and Mike Davies on 33 was catching regularly in his left margin. It turned out that Mike had done better than it appeared and weighed in 20lb 14oz for second silvers, 7oz behind Bob the Badger who took first. Robot Duck sniffed out the winning weight on 24. See the results below.

No comments:

Post a Comment