Tuesday 18 October 2016

Sunday 16th October 2016 - Sedges Brick Lake

My Sunday morning started at 5:00 am when the our dog announced he wanted to go outside. But when he poked his nose out the door at the pouring rain, he decided to cross his legs for a while longer. It continued pouring until 7 and then I loaded the car and headed off to the Sedges fishery. When I arrived the usual early birds were supping on their teas and debating what the lake had instore for us. A southerly wind was rippling the lake and pushing from peg 20 down to the favourite peg 10.

I had come with all baits but would be happy to get a good silvers peg. However, I drew out peg 11 and was shouted at for drawing another corner peg, especially a good carp peg. So, out came the pellets and meat. So, did a pellet waggler rod, tip rod and two pole rigs for to corner margin and 2+3 in front of me.

Peg 11

There was lots of fish topping and at the all in I went straight for the pellet waggler. 30 mins later and not a sniff. The wind wasn't very good and so I changed to the tip and an 8mm pellet. The others had opted for either pole or tip and at this point not a carp had been landed. As time went on and still no bites I had an bit of inspiration, I wrapped the pellet in a 'conker' of soft micros and around went the tip on my first cast. Two more followed in the next half hour and I thought I'd cracked it!! Next to me, Dick Hurford had a battle with something large which turned out to be a 14lb common; nearly as much as the 3 I had in my net. Pete Cooke on peg 14 had started building a weight too. In fact he seemed to be leading the pack.
I had been loose feeding the corner margin and so I gave it a try with an 8mm hard pellet. First put in and a small common was in the net. I tried that line for 20 mins but no more. So, back out on the tip and three more carp took the 'conker'. Dick had another battle but it was only a 11lb 9oz. He had another 3 large carp and I reckon he was ahead of me. I tried the margin again and hook a good fish but I never saw it as my hook length gave way. That was my last action and the last hour and a half was biteless which is strange for Brick Lake as the carp tend to turn up towards the end of the afternoon.



Pete Cooke had been steadily catching and would likely take top spot. From the corner I couldn't see or hear much but I could see pegs 1 to 5 getting up and walking about as they were having a barren day. Come the end and seeing the results it was clear that the lake had been quiet and most felt it had been the large amount of cold rain that had fallen in the night.

First on the day was Pete followed by Dick and myself in 3rd. Baz came out top in the silvers followed by Steve and Tivi Dave. Interesting to note that all the top weights came from one half of the lake.




No comments:

Post a Comment