Monday 2 November 2015

Sunday 1st November 2015 – Sedges Brick Lake

Back to The Sedges again but on Brick Lake. We all arrived in a gloomy foggy morning unable to see from one side of the lake to the other. 20 names were on the sheet and all turned up except for Andy Rossiter who became badly diseased overnight. Get well Andy!!
We all know that Brick lake has the favourite pegs 8,9,10 & 11 at the northern end and there were large fish topping. I had come again with only silvers in mind as I’m still trying to produce better results. I didn’t mind where I was pegged as I didn’t know of the better silvers pegs. Everyone was ready early and so the draw was done at 8:45. I was second into the pot and out came 9. I guess many will say that it was sacrilege not to fish for the carp. Rob Eagles drew 10 and also admitted that he had come prepared for silvers and so stood at his peg for 5 mins deciding if he should change his mind. On 8 I had Dave Harvey again and so I knew I had a silvers ‘buddy’. Across on the flyer peg 11 was Colin Lambert.
I dragged out the same rigs that I had used the previous week, one for full depth infront at 10m, a shallow rig at the same spot, a margin rig and because we had so much time to set up, I also did a full depth rig at 10m with a band for fishing hard pellet. The bait tray contained caster, maggot, corn, soft and hard pellet. Lastly was the humble worm. I had a lovely bowl of sweet smelling crumb mix which hopefully would attract the bream.

Peg 9…….


Reaching the 10:00am mark, many were questioning the ability of Mr Beards to tell the time. He has requested me to say that he is upset at this and knows very well that when Mickey Mouse’s hand is on the 12 and his tale is on the 10 then it is time to blow the hooter. He therefore requests that we all ‘Shut the fcuk up’!!

I put 3 balls of crumb into my 10m line and then picked up the margin top kit to try and pick up some bits while the crumb settled. I flicked a few caster into each margin and alternatively tried each baited up with a single caster. A nice roach accepted my first put in and then a few smaller. Next put in pull the elastic out well and surprised me with the reward of a 2lb perch. A few more bits followed and then from the right margin the elastic went again and took off for the middle. Vermin I thought but then it easily surfaced and a lovely 3lb Tinca graced the net. A good start for the first 15 mins. I then tried the 10m line with a soft 6mm pellet. There was a slight tow in the water and the float travelled about a meter in 5mins so I tried differing methods of holding the float back or letting it run through over my baited area. My first fish from this area was a small skimmer and with a very tentative bite. The next was a more confident dip of the float and a good size bream. I kept at this line for about an hour and was rewarded by some more small skimmers although the bites took a long time to develop. The next 4 hours followed a similar pattern of fishing the 10m line then give some feed and then try the margins. Apart from a further good size bream and more skimmers ‘blades’ there is was no more excitement to mention and I ended with 10lb 12oz for my efforts.

The fog only thinned a little during the whole match and it created a very sombre atmosphere with little banter to accompany the lack of fish being caught. Rob Eagles decided he had to go for carp on peg 10 and had two very quickly. Colin had one fairly early but then all was quite with lead rods remaining still for long periods of time. Dave next to me was catching silvers at the same rate as me but Tony Fry on 6 was having a bit more fun fishing the waggler. At one point there was laughter as Georgie boy hooked into a large carp who was very rude by taking his rig, elastic, Dacron connector and  part of his elastic bung. Poor fellow was left standing with a top kit in his hand looking like a garden gnome. But he didn’t complain, he just went on to lose another 2 carp!! The odd carp were putting in appearances but there was certainly no clear indication of a winner.

On the all out (Mickey’s tail on the 4), everyone considered it had been a very quiet day in many respects. The scales were soon coming down from peg 1 and the weights of note at that point were Dave Allens 17lb 12oz of silvers which included 7 good bream and then Steve King posting the best overall of 36lb 12oz. I didn’t follow the scales because I was still packing up and then went back to the cars and waited for Chair Bob to return with the score sheet. It turned out that Martin Western had taken 1st overall for the second week with 38lb 6oz and Dave Tunstall had 2nd silvers with 16lb 12oz.

So, the scores on the doors were:
Overall
1st Martin Western (18) – 38lb 6oz
2nd Steve King (5) – 36lb 12oz
3rd Roger Coombs (16) – 31lb 13oz
Silvers
1st Dave Allen (3) – 17lb 12oz
2nd Dave Tunstall (13) – 16lb 12oz
3rd Tony Fry (6) – 11lb 6oz

Score sheet……

No comments:

Post a Comment