Sunday 10 March 2019

Sunday 10th March - Sedges

                               


Today we returned to the Sedges fishing on Tile Lake, which as like the last time we fished here, it was blowing gale force winds. The side of the lake with pegs 21-30 were going to be favoured as this was sheltered and was like a mill pond compared to the waves like the Bristol channel from the other side. You could sense the dread of drawing in the 30,s and those with their drawing arms on fire in previous weeks would wish for that to continue today.

17 dedicated foolish members attended today to fish these dreadful conditions and we were also joined by 2 new members in Steve W and John W.

The golden peg was drawn which was 33 then we all dived in to try and avoid the 30's. I was first in and was apprehensive but fortunately drew 22 on the sheltered side which I was more than pleased with.

The draw was as follows

Peg

21 - Steve W
22 - Me
23 - Dave Allen
24 - Danny
25 - Sharp shopper hane
26 - Tax Man Brian
27 - The Guru Tart
28 - Eric
29 - Tony F
30 - Graham
31 - Mutant Turtle
33 - Last Hour Dave
35 - John W
36 - Lord C
37 - Mario Tony
39 - Queenie
40 - Nice Guy Rich

So I was fortunate to have the inform Class Angler Dave Allen next to me, perhaps I could find out the key to his success of recent weeks? To my right I had new boy Steve W who was really sheltered and had a great carp peg in the corner.

The wind seemed to get worse and worse as we got closer to the all in and then a shower of rain - how I did feel for those on the far side - did I heck as like. On pegs 21-30 we could use the pole or tip, but that wasn't at all possible on the far side although George did fish just the top 2 for silvers.

So the hooter sounded and as of last week I just went to feed my 2nd line and straight away Dave Allen was in, after he had landed then Steve was in. I went on the tip for 30 mind and had a few knocks but my intention was for silvers today so went over  my feed on my first line with maggots. I was picking up bits and pieces but Danny was flying with some decent Bream. Dave then hooked another carp that he landed so he had 2 in the first 30 mins. He then went on the pole after seeing Danny land a few more and straight away he was into some blades before losing a carp then a few Bream before landing a chunk of a carp. I had fen my second line and left to rest for 3 hours then went over the top on pellet. I started a run of some nice bream then landed 2 carp before losing 2. In the mean time Dave and Steve were catching Carp with Dave also getting a fish a chuck. I could see a few on the other side catching but not with the regularity of those next to me.

So the hooter went and Dave was still playing a carp which he successfully landed and overall had a great days fishing and to be honest it was great to watch a class angler catching so well albeit annoying that it wasn't happening for me.

So to the weigh in and Steve W on his first match did well with 48-10 and a mention to George who managed 12-10 on top 2. I don't know how Nice Guy Rich did it but he caught 59.03 even with spending half his time retrieving his rigs from the trees putting the birds more at risk than the fish.

So to the results

Overall

1st - Dave Allen - 77-1
2nd - Queenie - 76-14
3rd - Mario Tony

Silvers

1st - Danny  - 31-10
2nd - Eric - 18-04
3rd - John W - 15-05

So for the Third week in a row Dave took the honours and for the second week in a row beat Queenie by a few ounces and how bitter he was about it bemoaning all the way to his car. Maybe we should start calling him Lemon or Citrus from now on.

Next week we are back to Trinity on the Main Lake













1 comment:

  1. Bloody wind - Ha Ha ! I put my ineptitude down to having drawn next to angling royalty - I was simply Starstruck !!! I wasn't too happy when he started pinging pellets though, they were blowing back and bouncing off my head !

    ReplyDelete