Tuesday 26 March 2019

HLS - Shiplate Lake - 24th March

Todays venue saw us take on the scenic venue of Shiplate Fisheries and we were on the main lake. In contrast to the last time we fished here when we had to break ice and only four anglers caught, the sun was shining there was very little breeze and everyone was in buoyant mood except Mario Tony who appeared to have gone down with man flu.

We had the return of the Guru Tart this week, back from harassing the residents of Jersey, Eric from his fishing exploits at White Acres, Dave Allen and Stan which made a total congregation of 20 anglers

A few of the anglers were fresh from the trip to Farnborough where The Big One show was being held and Sharp Shopper Shane kindly present the Guru Tart with a very large mixing bucket. I say large, but not that big that his head would fit inside, it also matched the colour of his feminine pink bauble hat. Did anyone else notice the big brown stripe on the Gurus tongue - Im sure it came from Des Ship?

Anyway I had a walk around the lake and it looked good all around with the old carp topping and in fact I would have preferred fishing one of the small side lakes as they looked very tempting.

So into the draw and the golden peg was drawn which was peg 7, which I'm lead to believe that at that end of the pond doesn't normally perform so was probably going to be safe for another week.

Fancied pegs today were 10 which had been performing, nos 1 and nos 15

The draw was as follows

Peg

1 - Last Hour Dave
2 - Nice Guy Rich
3 - Tony Fry
3a - Sharp Shopper Shane
4 - Eric
4a - Shaun
5 - Mario Tony
5a - John
6 - Dave Allen
6a - Stan
7 - Steve Warren
10 - Mike Davis
11 - Queenie
12 - Lord C
12a - Sausage
13 - Guru Tart
13A - Steve Gardener
14 - Mutant George
14b - Me
15 - Danny

For me I was quite pleased to be between the 2 top silvers angler in the club; however I couldn't see what they were doing and as they were slightly more forward in their pegs they had a nice advantage. I set up at 13m line, a 7 to one side and a margin rig.

The all in hooter sounder and I shipped in 2 balls of ground bail laced with dead reads and few micros mixed in. To my Right George had landed a skimmer of 2-3lb although he said it was only 6 oz, to my left I could hear Danny landing a few fish as well and hen it was my turn, 2 skimmers in succession of about 2lb each, George was still catching and I think he had about 8-9lb in the first hour. Then it died for me, George was having a few small blades and a good roach and the same happened to him. However on my left I could still hear Danny catching regularly.

In the afternoon the sun to the side it got a bit cold and the wind got up, blowing from a north westerly direction it was cold however I was slightly sheltered; however, on the other side of the lake the condition appeared much worse.

The carp then moved in to our pegs and until the weigh n I didn't realise how big they were in this lake and when I hooked 1 I didn't stand much chance on my 0.10 hook length. Danny had landed a nice carp but reported that he lost 9 and George had 3 good ones weighing a total of 40lb.

I had a quick wonder up the bank on the final whistle and Queenie was grinning like a Cheshire Tom Cat, so he had done ok, the Guru Tart was reporting about 20lb silvers and I had to remove any sharp objects that could be seen by Lord C just in case.

Results

Overall

1 - Queenie - 62-03
2 - Mutant George - 51-12
3 - Nice Guy Rich - 41-04

Silvers

1 - Danny - 31-04
2 - Mike Davis - 19-13
3 - Guru Tart - 19-04

Well done to those who framed and for the Guru Tart who definitely wont get his head in the bucket now. Nice Guy Rich is on form at present with framing on Wednesdays as well.

It was a great net from Danny with 5 Tench - a big Crucian and Skimmers

Next Week we are at Landsend in Wedmore - make sure you text the Tart to book your place if you've not already informed him. Also - remember that the clocks go forward this weekend

                                                                George and his big CARP



                                                                                  RESULTS





No comments:

Post a Comment