Friday 22 June 2018

HLS Angling Dad's Army Wednesday 20th June

Fifteen of Dad's Army mustered today, the venue being Avalon, with Ron seeing to our needs.   The day was overcas with a stiff breze blowing down the lake, we thought this was ideal conditions!!, but time would tell.

Ron and I selected the pegs to be fished, and sorted out the money, so it was onto the draw.   Peg three was the Golden Peg, and it was not a surprise when Tonto drew it out.

Today we had the very welcome return of Sausage who is battling illness, but needed to get out;  Trina and all the guys acted as nurses, which made life easier.   There was also a warm welcome back to Ballcock, who has been refereeing football all winter.   He is now playing veterans cricket, an all round sportsman.

The lad's were in good form with plenty of insults and abuse, this is always an indication when they are in a good frame of mind.

At the draw I was happy to be last out of the hat with nineteen   I had Bendit to my right and Ninja on the left.    Boy George and the Nasty Old Sheriff were on pegs ten and eleven, and I thought that would be interesting.

I intended to fish sweetcorn over ground bait, with some particles added.   I did not expect to catch from the start, so I put a couple of maggots on the hook, just to put something in the net, I was sure I couldn't get through the roach WRONG.   Twenty minutes in, a large varmint with scales disappeared with my rig and half my elastic,  never to be seen again!

Second rig and on with the corn, there were bubbles everywhere, and it was not long before my first bream.  During the day Bend It and myself were going fish for fish, and Ninja splashing about with his carp, there was just no peace.

Ron appeared with the scales at four o'clock.   Mustard did not bother, but Ninja had 134lbs 13ozs.  Next up was myself with 28lbs 4ozs of silvers,  would that beat Bend It I thought.   He said he had been fishing  caster all day,  it was close, but
 Ron said sorry Bob it's 28lbs 5ozs   Well done Bend It.   Big Bird weighed 88lbs 11ozs for second overall.

It was a good days fishing, which is typical of Avalon.   Our thanks to Ron for a great job.

                                                                   Bob

                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment