Monday 16 April 2018

Sunday 15th April 2018 - Viaduct Cary Lake



The famous 'Scary Cary' was the venue for Sunday and with it being only 5 mile down the road I could get an extra 20 mins in bed. When I got up the rain had started to drizzle and forecast was for a damp day.

When I arrived, the Guru Tart was demonstrating the latest tackle from the orange company. We all agreed that this was probably his level of fishing.


All the other usual characters were in attendance and good to see that Steve King had still not taken delivery of the hangmans rope after his run of recent poor form. Kev Hayes arrived and decided it was the right time to re thread his top kit with strong elastic for the occasion.... You Muppet Kev!!!. Luckily Simon had a wire threader and helped the poor man.

My bait bag included mostly silvers baits but I also loaded up plenty of pellets should I get a good carp peg.
The golden peg was drawn; 81. A feast or famine peg in my opinion. That ended up being the prize for Lord C (Octopussy boxes). I pulled out peg 94 and my silvers game plan commenced. Peg 90 across from me had won the previous days silvers and so I was optimistic. Peg 90 today had Tony Newell who has been having a good run with the carp weights lately. Along from him was Tony Fry, another who would be targeting the carp. Along to my left was a Viaduct expert, Brian Chivers, then Simon and then the two casting kings of HLS, Roger and Kev.

On reaching my peg, I decided on an 11m line straight out, 8m down the right hand margin and a rig to suit the margins either side of me. I chose to feed some Tom Thick ground bait laced with caster and fish over it with soft pellet, worm and dead maggots.
It took 20 minutes before I managed to land my first fish. In that time Brian had landed 4 carp from close in on paste!! I was getting regular bites but also lots of false bites which caused foul hooks and bumping fish off. I then changed the shotting to give me primarily lift bites and I managed to land more fish. I was getting plenty of fish but not the quality to build a big weight. I was pestered by carp who smashed me up twice and disrupted the swim  but I enjoyed my day and ended with 18-4 for my efforts.

From my view of the world I could see that the two Tony's were catching steadily but it turned out that Tony Newell was getting the better fish and finished up with 74-7 for second overall. In the distance, on peg 81, I could see that Lord Octopussy was using his landing net a lot.  He was fishing into the corner with his bomb rod and then to the monk with the pole. He was on the golden peg and the call of money got him to weigh in 118-11 for first overall. He wishes to inform George that he'll be dining out nicely on the golden peg winnings.

As for the silvers, the best silvers angler (who George you say) Rob Eagles was on peg 85 and caught some quality fish to make the scales show up 45-12. The former best silvers angler in the club, George was on peg 100 and put a respectable 24-13 on the score sheet. It's good to see your framing again George.


Next week it's Woodlands lake at Trinity waters. If you want to fish club mates, get on the phone to the Tart. Tight Lines


No comments:

Post a Comment