Monday 12 October 2015

Sunday 11th October 2015 – Landsend Match Lake

So, it was a return to Landsend, a fortnight after we had a hard match and we were therefore hoping the match lake was going to be kinder to us. 18 HLS members turned up and the pre-draw banter seem to centre around which were the favourite pegs for the day and the fact that the Rossiter Bros. had turned up so the Preston vs Browning rivalry was raised along with the ‘pound’ wagers. Many did comment that Chris was looking in good ‘form’. He said it was just a bulky body warmer!!

Mr ‘Pi’ himself, sat on flyer 11 ……


I had come with a desire to fish for silvers but had brought meat, pellet and paste if I drew a carp flyer. I didn’t need to worry as peg 3 stuck to my fingers. Phil Beards drew 17 and was hoping that he could repeat his victory from the previous match. The flyer pegs were drawn by Shaun (11), Matt (13) and Chris (19) and not least, Chair Bob on 18, although he would not be targeting the ‘vermin’.
When I arrived at my peg I found I had Roger ‘casting king’ Coombes on my left and Colin Lambert to my right. Then there was George Fletch and then Shane Western, so I knew there was going to be some bitchy banter happening to my right all through the match.
The water had a lot of leaves on the surface but the colour was good and it was overcast, so I was hopeful. I repeated my 4 rigs from the last visit with a light silvers rig to be fished at 11m, another at 2+1 and then the left and right margin. I lined up maggots, casters, sweetcorn, 4mm expanders along with some ground bait for attraction.

My peg for the day….


Phil blew the horn at 10:00 and I fed the forward lines. Chucking a few maggots in the left and right margins, I tried them while the fed lines settled. The match took on the same format as previous and bites were very hard to get, even from small roach and perch on single maggot. A single maggot at 11m was taken by a carp who gave me some good sport until it decided to head for Colin Lamberts platform and the hook length explode and even left my float bobbing halfway between me and Colin. I rescued that in the pole pot and pulled out a fresh rig. So, alternating between my 4 lines I struggled to catch some silvers but did have a bonus Crucian. Later on in the match I had a take very close in to the platform and it was a carp who immediately went under the platform and cut the line on the platform leg.
There was lots of anguished comments throughout the match at the lack of bites but the odd carp were putting in an appearance. Due to the lack of fish, there was lots more banter than usual and Bob ‘treated’ us to more songs and poetry than usual. Fletcher's parentage was called into question on many occasions to the point that he put tissue paper in his ears to block out the noise. This had the effect of making him look like Deputy Dog (nice call Phil, haha).
There was little excitement coming from the flyer pegs although a few carp showed. If Phil had managed to land the carp that he hooked then he surely would have lead the field.
In the last hour a number of guys admitted they were going to DNW and some started packing up early. I was quick to pack and took my kit back to the car before picking up the score sheet. Tony did not weigh and accompanied me and Roger to weigh in. Starting at Dave Allen on 1 he posted, what turned out to be, a reasonable weight on the day with 19lb 8oz!!!! My handful of silvers went 5lb 3oz. As we progressed down to the flyer pegs, George posted the top weigh so far with 27lb 7oz, including a monster Ghostie. We got to Shaun on 11 and he had not managed to find much with 12lb 1oz. Matt then took the lead on 13 by 4oz from George with 27lb 11oz. Phil on 17 weighed 18lb 1oz so he was looking good for the ‘pounds’!! Next up, Chairman Bob showed us all how to fish on a very hard day. He took the overall lead and best silvers weight with 28lb 4oz. Last but not least, Martin Western on 24 managed a respectable 25lb 5oz.
The post match analysis showed that the silvers weights were poor and some of the DNW’s regretted tipping back!! Well, the hope for a better days fishing was scuppered and questions were asked as to where we had gone wrong. Or, was the lake just fishing poor? 
Next Sunday we were heading off to Shiplate main lake. I wonder if peg 1 or 15 will win?????

The winners were…
Overall
1st Bob Pascoe (18) – 28lb 4oz
2nd Matt Culpin (13) – 27lb 11oz
3rd George Fletcher (5) – 27lb 7oz

Silvers
1st Ross Baker (3) – 5lb 3oz (default win after Bob won the overall)
2nd Dave Allen (1) – 4lb 4oz
3rd Eric Searle (8) – 3lb 2oz (default win after Matt won an overall prize)

Score sheet….

No comments:

Post a Comment