Monday 3 February 2020

Shiplate Fishery - 02.02.2020

Todays meeting was at the ever popular Shiplate Fishery in Bleadon. This time last year we were breaking ice off of the lake, but in a total contrast, the weather was fine but there was a keen northwesterly wind whch was blowing from one side of the lake to the other. If you were lucky to get pegs 9 -15 you would be in for a comfortable day but if you were on the other then fishing would be cold.

There was a great turn out today of 18 anglers with their names in the draw.

I was the first to arrive today quickly followed by a convoy of other vehicles and it wasnt long before the carpark was full and the overflow one was in use. As well as HLS on the main lake, all the other ponds were being fished on today.

I unloaded my gear and spoke with Mario Tony and our wishes for the day were to pull a peg an the far bank, catch a couple and finally was to have a framing peg, so not asking for too much. I paid my fees and gave out some fixtures and membership cards and then managed to grab a quick cup of tea.

The Guru tart turned up in  a bright red pair of trainers but had decisded to leave the bright pink ones of last week at home due to the amount of abuse that he had received. The last 2 we were waiting on today were Ex-chairman and John Bradford who finally made the draw on time.

The Golden peg was drawn and out poped 12A, an area that is good for silvers or carp

Draw

1 - Mutant George
2 - Guru Tart
3 - Kev Hayes
4 - Tony Fry
5 - Stan
6 - Eric
7 - Queenie
8 - Mario Tony
9 a - Lord C
10 - Sausage
11 - Shane
12 - Dave Allen
12a - Steve Warren
13 - Rich Coles
13a - Danny
14 - Tungsen Dave
14b - John Bradford
15 - Nige

After being the 4th person to draw and pulling out peg 15 I had my wishes answered, the wind on my back and a very good swim that consistantly produces. I was fortunate that no one asked me what peg I had drawn and I avoided the banter by swiftly getting my gear and head off for the long walk.

When I got to the peg It was perfect, flat water, sheletred from the wind and my first task was to remove some of the clothing and put on some factor 50. People have informed me that with this peg, if you cast towards the lawn near the reeds you would bag up. I set up a little bomb with banded pellet - (I was going to use bread but i left that at home). On the pole I set up at 11m in front and found the water at about 5 feet and a margin rig to my left on 2+2 which was barely 2ft deep. So very simple today, micro in front and i micro maggot combi in the margin.

On the all in I shipped out some micros on the 11m line and combi down the edge. The tip was put into action but my cast was a bit short of the target. I left it there for 5mins before a small tug and a mirror to about 6lb. That was possitive so I did the same again only ast to the clip where it sat there doing nothing for the next hour. I as bored of this so thought Id give a go on the 11m line and after 20 mins or so I had a couple of skimmers then a tench. I fed agian and the float sat there for a while before a small dink and a strike and the elastic was off. Now I wouldn't have minded a good day on the skimmers but this was definately going to be a carp area. After carefuly playing this fish I managed to net it at about 15lb. Fed again at 11m then tried before going to the margin which i had been putting in a few maggotts and micros every now and again. Nothing,  so I went out at 11m again and had a browse around the lake. George on 1 who was opposite me was like a fidlers elbow bringing in little ninjas and when I looked across to the Guru Tart he was in the bushes unhooking a branch. From what I could see there wasnt much going on.

The 11m line was doing well, a few more skimmers then a bream of about 3lb before another carp at about 8lb. I fed both line again before putting the tip out whilst I had a cuppa and a sandwich but nothing happened here so I kept on the 11m line until the last hour.

At 2pm I went on the margiin line with tripple maggot, a really shy bite and a strike and I was into a fiesty common. A feed again and a short burst on the 11m line but nothing so back on the margin and again within a few minutes the float dinked and another carp. I had a few more in the margin before the hooter went. A great days fishing for me, with no lost fish.

It was a hard day for most today, certainly those on the near side bank, with lack of fish and a cold wind in their faces

Results

Overall

1st - Nige Coram     - 59lb - 09oz
2nd - Steve Warren - 34lb - 09oz
3rd - Rich Coles      - 17lb - 06oz

Silvers

1st - Shane Western    - 15lb - 05oz
2nd - Steve King         - 13lb - 110z
3rd  - George Fletcher - 13lb - 10oz

So a surprise with the silvers anglers with Shane Western bagging on the tip using the wafter as he got bored using the pole after 10minutes.

Well done to al the framers and to everyone who attended. Please remeber that you need to book in by the Wedneesday and confirm with Steve Warren, pools money has to be received by 8.30 else you will not be enetered, draw takes place at 8.45.

Next week is at Sedges on Brick lake











No comments:

Post a Comment