Monday 2 September 2019

Viaduct 01.09.2019

On a really sunny bright sunny morning saw todays gathering of 16 Anglers fishing on the "Scary" Cary Lake which hold a huge amount of large Carp and a good helping of Silvers. As this was on my second visit to the fishery I had a wonder around the lake and unlike my first visit when I saw a mass of black shadows all very shallow roaming around the lake this time was much clearer, with just a few fish showing. There are a few nice pegs around the lake and with the sun shining these were favourable however the ones in the shade were not so appealing. Peg 90 - 97 looked like the favourable pegs along with the over hanging tree in peg 74 and peg 81 was also a nice peg if it was fished properly.


A wander back to the gathering of fine men and some nice new vehicles on show with Mario Tony showing off his nice Audi. Dettal appeared on the scene carry the long lost Guru Tart who after a lengthy lay off with his bad back. Looking slightly trimmer than normal I thought to myself was he actually eating all the ground bait and sweet corn when he was fishing and now he wasn't he'd lost a few pound, much like his fishing I hear you say.

Dettal came strutting over giving the all I am - now he's working in  Somerset Angling and getting all the fishing tips he said to me, Queenie and Lord C that he was going to smash us up today. I thought enough of that nonsense and strolled to pay my dues to Stroppy Steve and a quick chat with his buddy Corner peg John who was in a confident mood.

I went back to the van to get my gear and Danny and George were at it like husband and wife - quarrelling that is. I had to look twice as I didn't recognise Danny who was sporting a new hair cut who pointed out he'd only had it done as he had to attend a family do the day before. Georges was still hobbling around on his peg leg - someone tell him to take that stone out of his shoe but he was in a good mood this week. A bit of friendly banter between the 2 is always the norm on s Sunday morning and George in defiant mood that he was going to stuff  Danny today and recoup some of his recent partings.

Martin took the honours of drawing the pegs and doing the draw and Danny taking the names so a nice team effort once again to get things rolling.

The draw took place and Golden peg was 97

 Draw as follows

74 - Stroppy Steve
77 - Tax Man Brian
78 - John Bradford
80 - Tony Newel
81 - Dettal
85 - Sausage
86 - Tony Fry
88 - Chairman Kev - or is he?
90 - Danny
94 - Lord C
96 - Queenie
97 - John Woolenscroft
99 - Tungsten Dave
100 - Dave Allen
102 - Mutant George
105 - Me


When I look at the draw from the last match many people were very near to the ones they had drawn before just the next peg along in many cases with Sausage drawing the same peg. With matches on the other lakes, the room was a bit limited again but we all got on with our task in hand. I had Stroppy Steve opposite me right next to the tree so I could see a few rigs going astray here and the possibility of a really stroppy Steve at the end of the match. Brian was opposite to my right and Mario Tony had a nice peg and these were the only ones I could see.

I decided that I was going to target anything today after initially thinking silvers; however I just totally messed up. I set up a top 2+1 to my left with ground bait laced with caster, top 2 plus 2 to my right a small pot of micros and at 13m which I didn't feed. The all in was shouted, 20 minutes in and I hadn't had a touch on the 13m line so went over the ground bait and nothing. I kept an eye on the micro line for any feeding but nothing so I just left it. Back onto 13m line and fed a bit of micro in a toss pot with some slop and within 30 seconds the float dipped and I was into a nice carp, after it taking me around the lake and I thought I had it under control it took off only for the hook to pull. So nearly 2 hours in I had 1 bite and no fish. I kept trying line but nothing, I had feeding fish on the 13m line but couldn't buy a bite. So in desperation after seeing Mario Tony on the tip catching well for the first few hours I decided some corn and micros in the margin. Straight away the float dipped and some pink dual core streaming out of the kit only to produce a perch of about 1.5lb.  Onto my right line and I had 2 small blades so after 3 hours I had 3 fish.

The next 1.5 hours produced absolutely nothing and in desperate times I thought I'll mix up some paste. So after finally getting my rig sorted and paste to correct consistency it was 3pm and only an hour to go, I thought about packing up however the last hour proved eventful. My first put in and I was into a fish and with 2 people behind me watching and me feeling the pressure not to lose it I successfully landed a carp t0 20+ lb  - my biggest ever fish and with a further 3 carp in the next 20 mins. I was hoping that was going to continue but I lost another fish before landing another on the all out.

Steve mean while was swapping between paste and pellet and was catching most of the afternoon and I thought that he'd have easily 200 + lb and Mario Tony who's afternoon seemed to be less eventful than the morning I thought he would be close to that figure as well.

Speaking to both after the match they reported that the fish weren't as big as expected but both put in fine performances even if Stroppy Steve lost as many as he caught; however it must be said, not a moan in ear shot.

Peg 105 - its in the shade all day so whilst other were basking in the sunshine I was freezing my pellets off,  maybe that why the fish weren't there so I felt it was a disappointing day with only the last hour producing for me but what a last hour it was with a total of 67lb - 4 0z. although ITS PROBABLY THE WAY I FISHED IT.

Results


Overall

 1st - Steve Warren - peg 74 - 160 lb - 10 oz
2nd -Tony Newell - peg 80 - 118 lb - 05 oz

 Silvers

 1st - Martin - Peg 94 - 49 lb - 09 oz
2nd - Dave Allen -  peg 100 -  38lb - 07 oz


Well done to everyone on a hard day and a mention to Dettal who was smashed up by all of those that he was going  to smash, sometimes the info you have in your head is not the right info, fish the swim not the info.

Now I have to mention John Woolenscroft as when I was packing up John walked by with his trolley which is very unusual as he's normally the last to pack up. I merely asked how he got on of which 20 minutes later after tearing my ears off with his constant moaning about being an experienced angler fishing for a total of 80 hours and not catching 1 single fish on the banded pellet and that Queenie could catch when foul hooking using the same method was just not fishing. A message for you John - if you were that experienced, why on earth did it take 80 hours to realise that this wasn't working for you but you persisted like a Remainer trying to end Brexit - get over it and move on. Why so bitter was it parting with that £1 or that finally you didn't draw a corner peg? What's worse he drove off quicker than Stroppy Steve hooking his next fish and didn't say well done!!


Contact Shane by Thursday if you want to fish next Sunday  - We are at Shiplate on the canals.



                                    Danny with his total winnings from George this years

 
 
Danny sporting his new hair cut and getting another nugget from his mate

No comments:

Post a Comment