Monday 5 August 2019

HLS Summerhayes - 04.08.19

Todays meeting was at my local Summerhayes fishery on Sellick's pond. A short 5 minute journey for me enabled me to do a swift U turn to go back and get my bait that I had left in the fridge and after arriving at 8.15am  the car park was a mass with anglers with both Sellicks and Longs being fished today.

The weather forecast was of warm sunny spells with showers expected around 14.00 and 16.00 so I was hoping they were wrong. It was a very muggy morning and was surprised  to see Danny wearing his hoody over his shirt whilst others were in shorts and T-Shirt.

A warm welcome from the ever friendly posy of anglers and owner Pete who made me a nice cuppa. A good turnout again today with 18 Anglers in attendance even with a couple of regulars on holiday or sick. George was in friendly voice today as we went to collect our keepnets, it must be something to do with having his hair cut, although his hobble is getting worse he said that's where he keeps the golden nuggets he takes from Danny each week - now that's fighting talk.. I had a quick chat to John Woolenscroft only to be met by his fishing Pal Steve who from the first minute was moaning more than those remain Brexiteers after their referendum loss, all about losing his £1bet last week and now he's getting a reputation of moaning more than Eric and George put together.

Dettal came over with a top 2 and some elastic and asked if I could elastic them, so I started to thread a nylon through the top section whilst George said he would have it done in 2minutes. Dave Allen set the stop watch and George started threading through the puller and tapping the end to get the elastic out. After 5 minutes and I frustrated George I suggested he took the aligner out which we duly did which made the task so much easier. Very funny to watch George doing this but in the end the job was completed and Dettal had another top kit done.

I had a walk around the lake and the water level was very low. It looked about 2 foot lower than its normal depth with the under-earth showing under the platforms; however there were lots of fish showing. It was reported that the Silvers only match had produced small weights the day before but the carp were showing on worm and maggot so could be in for a good day.

Lord C with the assistance of Pete did the pegging and then proceeded to carry out the draw as follows.

Peg

2 - John Woolenscroft
4 - Taxman Brian
5 - Dettal
6 - Sharp Shopper Shane
7 - Tungsten Dave
9 - Eric
10 - Quiet Graham
11 - Dick
12 - Dave Allen
13 - Stroppy Steve
14 - Me
15 - Danny
16 - Mario Tony
17 - Paul Lock
19 - Chairman Kev
20 - Lord C
22 - Mutant George
23 - Rich Coles

For me peg 14 was not a bad peg with a little chuck on the tip into a small cove in the bank and a small island. My down side was that I had to put up with stroppy Steve but on a plus side I had Danny on my other side so could watch a class angler in action. To be fair I was lucky as I could see Dave Allen just 2 pegs down and to my left Mario Tony, Locky and Lord  who are also good anglers.

The all in was shouted and I decided that the tip was first port of call and also fed at 9m with micros and dead reds and top 2+1 with 6mm for paste, and a margin line fed with meat micros. Before I even finished cupping in - Danny was already into a carp - not his target species though.  After 15mins I had my first fish of about a 6lb carp followed by a smaller one on the half an hour. Steve next to me was also on the tip and caught 3 on the trot but It then went quiet for a while so I tried the 9mline with double maggot and caught a nice little mirror carp. So after an hour I had about 12lb. I kept feeding the 5m line and the margin to have a good go at it around 1.oo pm. I thought that if this continued I would have a good session. The weather seemed to warm up and Locky frightened the fish into submission by removing his T-Shirt by revealing his some what relaxed toned torso, so I just copied suit to show of my tan only to get abuse from my Stroppy neighbour. The next hour didn't produce on the 9m line so I went back on the tip and 3 quick fish. Stroppy Steve could see that I was catching so he also went out on the tip and it slowed up form me. I did lose 3-  what felt like good fish on the tip. I did see down the lake Lord C doing something that I hadn't really seen him do before where he started on the pole and then went on the tip and continued for large periods of time on the tip - however he was catching well. Again on the 9m line and again nothing so I then went on the 5m line at about 1pm thinking this would liven things up but my float just stayed there, which was a bit strange as I could see Dave Allen now start bagging on the paste.

I could see fish moving into my margin so fished the next 2 hours fishing there, losing yet another 3 fish to the delight of Stroppy Steve who then had Karma come his way as he lost fish after fish after accusing me of poor angling. What was funny to see was that I could see his frustration getting worse as his neighbour the mighty Dave Allen was bagging.

I finished well with 4 fish in the last half an hour then my 7th lost fish right on the all out.

It was much more enjoyable than last week with the fish showing even if I did lose a few and as much as it is frustrating, for me watching good anglers around me can only help.

So to the weigh in

Overall

1st - Lord C - 150 lb
2nd - Eric - 141 lb - 05 oz
3rd - John W - 112 lb 11 oz


Silvers

1st - Rich Coles - 14 lb
2nd - George - 11 lb - 14oz
3rd - 1o lb - 12 oz

So well done to Lord C who actually wanted the other side of the  lake and to Rich Coles who pipped George and save the Golden peg. I guess George will be hobbling even more next week with yet another nugget in his shoe and Stroppy Steve will need to be avoided at all cost next week after his mate ripped him off of another nugget by picking a flyer end peg.

Please remember to contact Shane if you want to fish at our next venue of Avalon and to contact Tony Fry to book your place on the away day of Todber.




 
Nice looking lake but water levels low


 
 Fine posy of anglers awaiting the  "All In"

 
Master Dave Allen in background and Stroppy Steve posing for a photo.



The all important results


No comments:

Post a Comment