Wednesday 14 August 2019

Avalon Fisheries - 11.08.19

Todays match was held at Avalon Fisheries with another god number of 18 keen anglers on show to put their skills to the test. The last time we fished this venue we had severe heavy rain and thunder storms which I was hoping wasn't going to happen again. It was slightly breezy but no where near as windy as the previous day and the sun was shining so that was a good start.

I arrived nice and early thinking Id be the first one there but to my surprise Tony Fry was nattering to Stroppy Steve. What a difference a week made, Stroppy Steve opened my van door, spoke to me civililly and was generally being a nice guy. I knew he was after something, which was not to be mentioned too much in this blog. John Wolstencroft approached me and thanked me for a nice write up on his stroppy mate, which Steve took in good grace but how long could he keep up the pretence.

Now with Stroppy Steve not being so stroppy today it was the turn of George. You would have thought with all the moaning he was doing, which was to be fair a lot more than Steve was last week. that the both of them could be mistaken for husband and wife - who's who's is your decision. I can only imagine that both members have had a lack of sleep of recent times.

A surprise member turned up with Lord C making an appearance when he was meant to be on holiday; however it was unfortunate that his holiday flights had been cancelled and he had managed to get them for the Monday so with nothing else planned turned up to fish - now that's dedication. After about a month away with family commitments Steve King also returned to the scene to grace us with his presence.

The reports that the fishing was good, as the previous day in the driving winds and rain, many a net full of silvers were showing with reported bags of 60lb and good numbers of carp. Now in my opinion that's always a bad thing, as the expectation levels increase, which inevitably increases frustrations at the end of a match if it didn't fish as good. but only time would tell.

So with the pegs all marked out and the golden peg on nos 5 being pulled, it was time for the all in. I picked for Tony Fry as he was with the bag and didn't he frown when I pulled him peg 3. I wanted a number that I hadn't chosen before as on previous occasions I drew in the 20's which has always seen me frame, but its a very long walk.

draw was as follows

Peg nos

3 - Tony Fry
5 - Graham
6 - Stroppy Steve
7 - Danny
9 - Me
10 - Sausage
11 - John Bradford
13 - George
16 - Tunsten Dave
17 - Mario Tony
19 - Queenie
20 Rich Coles
21 - Chairman Kev
22 - Eric
25 - Lord C
27 - Shane
28 - John Wolenscroft
29 - Dave Allen

I pulled peg 9 today so not too far to walk and the only choice was my target fish but with Danny one side of me and Sausage the other who would be fishing for Silvers and with the end of an Island to go for I had to go for Carp. With the wind blowing down the lake I decided to go on the tip for the first hour but feed a 5m line with ground bait and dead reads and a 13m line with 6mm pellets.

I had my first fish after 15minutes a 1lb pasty, in fact the Ginsters pasty that Sausage was eating was bigger, this was followed by a better fish then I lost one at the net with a hook pull. I changed my hook sizes from a 16 to a 12 and netted another. After the hour I had about 15lb of fish. I toped up both lines again and went on the tip and landed another 10lb in the next hour whilst checking for feeding fish on my other lines. The tip dried up after the second hour so onto the ground bait line but not a thing. Onto the 13m line with expander and a fish straight away of 5lb. The bites weren't coming as quick as I wanted so I thought id mix some paste which I previously didn't mix due to the wind but as it suddenly died down I thought this could be a good time to go onto it.

First put in and a fish, next put in and another fish but lost this one as it took me around the leg of the pallet. I stayed on paste bagging for the next hour until it went dark and the heavens opened with thunder and lightning. I couldn't see a thing so I opted to feed my 13m again but put the tip out until it stopped raining. Nothing on the tip whilst it rained even though I was constantly feeding when on the paste line.

The rain stopped, the sun came out, the hat went on and then back on the paste. This worked well until the end of the match when with 10mins to go I hooked a fish that had me struggling to control which ended up in my net of a 10lb ghosty - the first one I caught. Rich Coles, John Bradford and Sausage had all packed up early and stopped to ask what I had, I thought I had about 100lb which would have been my first ton and was happy with how the day went.

The  was shouted as Id just dropped another lump of paste in and over to the scales.

Results

Overall -

1ST - Mario Tony -           114lb - 13 oz
2ND - John Wolenscroft - 102 lb - 09 oz
3RD - Nigel -                     97 lb - 10oz

Silvers

1ST - Danny                      24lb - 02 oz
2ND - George -                  17 lb - 05 oz
3RD - Steve -                      6 lb - 08 oz

So Mario pipped me again on this venue with a fine ton + and I was slightly disappointed not getting a ton but happy with my performance.

The main men, Lord C, Queenie and Dave Allen were not on the frame but don't hold your breath as they will be back with a vengeance I'm sure.

George had yet more moaning to do with another £1 going to Danny and Stroppy Steve got 3rd in silvers with 2 nice chub in his nets which bought a smile to his face but soon started stropping around on learning his mate had 2nd overall. By the time everyone was gone, Stroppy Steve was still waiting for his mate to return from packing all his gear away so he could get a pint - now that's worth moaning for and John you need to stop putting out so much gear out.

Next week we are at Chilton - please confirm with Shane before Thursday. Also please ensure that you let Tony Fry know if you want to attend the away day at Todber and pay your £10.

 
Results

 

 
Nice Views looking down the lake
 



No comments:

Post a Comment