Monday 18 April 2016

Sunday 17th April 2016 - Viaduct - Cary Lake

Sunday morning greeted me with a light frost and a heavy headache (too much vino calapso). My first visit to Viaduct in 2016 and Scary Cary Lake. I armed myself with my Cary tip rod, which is a straight lead set-up but up rated for the Cary lumps. The car park was very full, with matches also on Campbell and Lodge.

After paying my fees I went for a walk around the lake. It was looking to be a glorious day with the sunny rising, although there was a cool NW breeze coming down the Cary valley. I had no preference for pegs but had a premonition I would draw a peg on the diagonal bank. Back to the car park and Bob Pascoe, fresh back from Oz, was in full voice and ready to start the draw. I noted there was a number of cries that he should not have been let back in the country!!!



When my hand came out of the draw bag, I had peg 94 in my hand. So, I was correct about the diagonal bank, just. Peg 94, a feast or famine peg is my belief. There was no one on peg 95, Mike Davis on 96, Chris Rossiter on 97, Horny Beards on 98.

My left hand side…..


Across from me was Brian ‘Welsh Wizard’ Chivers. Local Lass, Emma Drysdale was fishing on Lodge and said she had fished peg 94 a few weeks ago and had 88lb fishing meat short. I had 3 lines in mind, straight lead out 40m, down my right edge and 5m in front. I decided it was a pellet and meat day with paste in reserve. What I did notice when I sat on my box was the trees behind me did a good job of sheltering me from the sun; a shame!!

The first hour of the match was biteless on the tip and so it was for lot of the guys. Chris Rossiter started cheating by foul hooking a lump and had fun getting it in, especially when it went into Horny Beards swim. Chris soon had a second and third and set the pace. I took a rest from the tip and tired down the edge with meat and had two nice perch in two put-ins. Next was a look over the bed of meat at 5m and a 10lb mirror obliged. I alternated the two pole lines and apart from annoying bites from bits I was biteless for the next 3hrs. Chris was catching regular and was looking to be the likely winner. The carp seemed to come on the feed and lots more rods were bending into lumps. Across from me, Brian was fishing the waggler and started catching regular and looked like catching Chris. With 30 mins to go my tip finally went around and a consolation 10lb mirror joined his mate in my net. So, 2 carp and 2 perch were my ‘famine’ total for the day. I didn’t bother with the scales and left for home after becoming quite cold in my shaded corner of the lake.

I had a quick chat with some of the guys, but they were the ones who'd had similar bad days as I. The results show that Chris Rossiter had done enough to fend off that late run of Brian Chivers. Martin Western kept up his winning ways with first in the silvers, from Rob Eagle and our very own kangaroo Bobby Pascoe.

Post Match Note: Bob wishes to thank all of the guys that helped run the matches in his absence..... and Chris Rossiter sends best wishes to Phil Beards and the words "A hat-trick of nuggets now....three in a row"!


Score sheet……



No comments:

Post a Comment