Monday 21 March 2016

Sunday 20th March 2016 - Trinity Woodlands Lake

Back to Chilton Trinity and Woodlands lake. My last visit was successful but cold and I was expecting the same NE wind today so plenty of layers.

19 anglers turned up and Martin Western took a walk around the lake and chose the pegs, deciding to emit the end pegs and peg 32+ up in the left corner. Most of us congregated in the hut and paid monies to Tony and Steve. The golden peg was drawn; number 10. I wanted a peg on the north bank just because I can't remember the last time I fished from it. Plus, it would be warmer!! So, of course, peg 24 stuck to my fingers. I have had pegs in that corner so many times that it wasn't surprising I had a mini strop in the hut. Bolton boy drew the golden peg and predicted he would be taking home the box of nuggets. Our mission was to stop him. When I got to 24, I had Martin Western to my left and Rob Eagles to my right. Stan had the good corner peg, 22.

The big question was, would Rob Eagles get out his magic waggler?He did. I decided I would have a go on the waggler too. Well, at least the activity would help keep me warm. In total, I set up a lead rod, the waggler, and pole to fish 6 & 13 metres. Soft pellet and dead maggots were to be my main bait. To cut a long, cold 6 hours, I had no bites on the lead and one small skimmers at 6 metres on the pole. The wind made it hard work with a pole at 13m.
All the activity came on the waggler at 15 metres. Fishing double maggot on a size 18 and feeding a few maggots around the float, I started to get some bites. I had a couple roach and skimmers when I hooked into something much heavier and solid. I couldn't decide if it was a good bream or a dopey carp. I was an eel. A slimy, ugly thing of about 2lb.

Martin on Peg 25

Despite the cold, there was plenty of banter, mostly directed at George on the golden peg and his lack of fish. Steve King was having and interesting day, foul hooking most of the fish in his swim. But then Martin, next to me, foul hooked 3 carp, one of which decided to visit me and swirl by my feet. He managed to land one on the carp and had 5lb 12oz for a total of 14lb 3oz. Rob Eagles waggler magic was deserting him today and he decided not to bother the scales.

Rob on Peg 23

By the time the all out came, I was wondering how and why I had stayed the duration. My meager few went 6lb 1oz. Starting with the scales at peg 30 and working backwards, Shane started things off with 11lb 15oz. Dave and Danny had 20lbs ish nets with Danny taking the lead.Stan had four carp and a few bits for 25lb 3oz, second place. The only other significant weight was Steve King with the best silvers weight of  9lb 10oz.
So, a cold and hard day on the water. Let's hope Shiplate Canals are kinder to us next Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment