Thursday 22 March 2018

HLS Angling Wednesday 21st March Avalon

Today Dad's Army were tackling Avalon on what turned out to be a great day weather wise, with plenty of sunshine and a light westerly breeze.  This was not what I expected when getting out of bed at six o'clock to do my ablutions, outside the window it was a white frost, and I had another vision of my nuggets dropping off in the cold;  what a pleasant surprise later on.

There were nine of us at muster today, so, with the help of Ron, I pegged us in pairs with plenty of room to one side.   The Golden Peg was sixteen, which was the last out of the bag so I got lucky.  Boy George and Bend It got pegs twenty and twenty one, and were more than happy.   I got Mustard next to me using his new Drennan pole for the first time, he was looking very keen.

Boy George was using bad language before the off, he had foul hooked a carp while he was setting up.  He got a lot of abuse from the others for not waiting for the all in.

It was 10 o'clock and we started    After ten minutes my float sank, I struck, and a very small roach flew up in the air to say hello, then dropped off again, but the day got better.    I saw Big Bird landing a carp, I got a couple of small skimmers, and then some good fish as the day went on

I alternated between six mm soft pellet, and a single maggot over ground bait  a couple of inches over depth.   To my left Mustard tried everything, and after a couple of hours he got a fish, but he did improve, and ended up with ll lbs 2 ozs of silvers;  a good way to break in his new weapon.

At three o'clock it was all out.   Ron did the weighing in.  Everyone caught fish, Big Bird won overall with 50 lbs of carp.    I got the silvers, with a respectable 30 lbs 12 ozs mostly skimmers and bream.

    Thanks to Ron and Vic,   The fishery looks great, just like the fishing.

                          Next Wednesday we visit Sumerhayes  Longs.

                                    Get on the Dog and Bone, the more the merrier

                                                                   Bob






                     


No comments:

Post a Comment